There's no room for haters in 2019.

Why is it so hard for people to be nice about being healthy?

It’s the New Year and there’s going to be tons of people making resolutions. People going to the gym, starting diets, wanting to make a change.

But yet, trainers have to put out PSA’s to be nice to new gym members, we have to give people a hard time when they choose not eat something, we don’t actually support them and help them on the track they choose.

Maybe I’m just bitter today. But you wanna know why?

My mom spent a LOT of money on a juicer that I asked for. So I started looking up recipes. You know which ones seemed to work best for immunity? Carrots and celery. What happens when you mix orange with green?

Well if you ask people...sewer water, orange goop, stinky stuff, and “you gotta be kidding me.”

Now, this isn’t a new year’s resolution. This is a way that my family and I can take another step in a direction to be healthy. But it would’ve been nice to be supported.

Anyway, rant over. Here’s what I really wanna talk about: JUICING! 


Juicing versus whole fruit isn’t that big of a difference. If you google it, that’s what you’re going to find and I don’t want you coming back and calling me a liar. However, how many of you eat four carrots, three stalks of celery, an apple and some parsley every day? Or do you eat lemons, ginger and kale on a regular basis?

For me, juicing is a way to get more vitamins and minerals in my system. I don’t particularly like veggies. I don’t like green veggies and I would do anything to avoid a salad. So this is a way for my family and I to make sure we're getting the recommended amount of nutrients.

Another reason, store bought vitamins are shit. Have you looked at the label of your kids “multivitamins”? Sugar is the first or second (sometimes both) ingredient. Ask my stepdaughter how infuriating it is. I may or may not have screamed in the Target aisle. Even my women’s daily vitamins have some kind of sugar in it. And let me tell you...it ain’t the natural kind that you find in fruits and veggies. You wanna argue that I CAN get vitamins that are healthy for me without all the added sugar? It will cost me at least $20 for a one-month supply and it won’t be anywhere close to the nutrients juicing can give me. Oh...and times that by 5. So, $100 for vitamins a month for my family. That's roughly what I spend on produce - and fresh is so much healthier! 

You may ask, what am I going to about all the waste and the leftovers that aren't used? I'm not sure yet. But I've read a lot of good things. Blend it. Put it in a smoothie. Or make stalk out of it. 

Or, what am I going to do about getting the recommended amount of fiber? Well hunny, if I'm not eating my veggies in the first place, I'm not getting it either way. We have lots of different solutions at our house. Crackers, whole fruits and veggies, different nuts, chia seeds, popcorn, oats...the list goes on. 

Any other "cons" to talk me out of this? I've probably asked them all myself anyway. 

Am I going to do it every day? No.

Am I going to make the perfect blend of savory and sweet every time? No.

Am I going to be healthy, wealthy and wise because I juice? No.

Juicing is one part of my health journey. Like my smoothies and my dairy-freeness and my incessant water intake.

So, I want to encourage you in 2019 to follow your goals. If you need a hand, reach out. If you want encouragement, I’ll give it. If you just want to avoid assholes that make fun of you, I’m here.

I'll circle back later to let you know how I'm doing!

Through a quick Pinterest search, I found a recipe for Winter Vitamin Boosting Juice from Happy Foods Tube. So I gave it a whirl. I bought 5lbs of carrots, and the other stuff and started juicing. I will admit, drinking carrot juice is weird at first, but I do feel like I’m doing some great stuff to my body. 



This blog has some other great recipes I’m excited to try, too!

Here’s a big ole cheers to 2019 🍻(I’m cheersing with my juice.)

~T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What works for us?

Separated Time: How Much Influence Do We Really Have?

Healthy Comfort Foods