End of an Era



So, like everyone else this week, I’m reflecting on what a whirlwind 2018 has been.

You see, this time last year - I wasn’t engaged, married, homeowner, or stepmom. I was driving back and forth from a house I was “renting” to a job that I felt I was sinking in. I was having growing pains trying to figure out how to be an authoritative figure and a loving stepmother at the same time. I was learning how to balance my independence with splitting my life with another.

Then, NYE 2017 hit and then I was engaged and most of our family and friends were there to celebrate. I started planning my "dream wedding" - or as close to what I thought my day would be. We transitioned out of a house into OUR house. And I continued to network and find connections through my passions.

That kicked 2018 off to a GREAT start. Here are my top 5 memories.

  1. Getting married and gaining my own family! This - by FAR - was my biggest hurdle. I've never wanted to be married or have kids. When I went to write my vows, it felt funny. Like, is this the next step in life? Trying to figure out what that looks like. It seems that Travis and I have been together forever. Not that we agree with each other all the time - but I know that I need him in my life. And the whole time, my Maid of Honor was my 8-year-old stepdaughter. Never even occurred to me that my wedding day could already contain children. And bringing them into my life was one of the greatest adventures of all. 
  2. Taking our honeymoon. The trip itself was a little shaky, but the sights were Grand (get it?) Have you ever spent 16 days straight with someone? All while you're working through your own shit? It was rouggggh. But we came out on the other side and we've planned many more adventures for 2019.
  3. Buying my own house! This goes without saying. The projects stack up and the toys always seem to be out. But it's mine. I can say it now. MINE! Again, nothing I ever dreamed about, this is an amazing part of life. We moved in to a wonderful neighborhood that have kids and parents that encourage and love our family. 
  4. Work opportunities galore! There have been some times in my career where I question what I'm doing in a corporate setting, filling out paperwork by the droves and then I get on set and I realize that these opportunities are building me to be better wherever I go. I am able to be more professional, handle more and lead better. Even though it caused some breakdowns in 2018, I've grown, too. I also joined a Wellness group that allows my passion of health and wellness to  shine through at work. This has given me opportunities to volunteer around campus to make people healthier. 
  5. Spending EVERY holiday with my step kids! This year was hard because we got EVERY holiday with the kids. But it was also good - these are milestones we won't always get. It's just the way the calendar fell. Even days like Valentine's Day at Five Guys and Labor Day at a rainy campground all are memories I get to cherish. 
I can only imagine that 2019 slows down a little and I get to spend the last year in my 20s taking numerous opportunities to continue to grow myself personal, professional and relationally.  New things are on the horizon and I'm so excited to take that journey with these peeps.

~T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What works for us?

Separated Time: How Much Influence Do We Really Have?

Healthy Comfort Foods